Australia booming as a hot destination for higher education not only with Indian students but also with students from around the globe. Why study in Australia ? What are the prospects of studying in Australia? Which are the universities that one can apply? What is the cost of staying and studying in Australia? and many more needs to be answered. The below text briefly gives an account of all these queries.
To start with let us look into the top Australian universities that have made their way to the top 200 QS World University Rankings:
- The University of Melbourne ranked 42
- The University of Sydney ranked 46
- The University of New South Wales ranked 49
- The University of Queensland ranked 51
- Monash University ranked 65
- The University of Western Australia ranked 102
- The University of Adelaide ranked 125
- University of Technology Sydney ranked 193
The above are the some of the universities which have gained their positions among the top 200 QS World University Rankings. In order to get into these universities one needs to follow the below procedures:
Students aiming to study in Australia need to cater to the following four important factors which will be considered to check if you are a genuine student:
- English Language Proficiency: It is mandatory for students aiming to study in Australia to take the eligibility test such as IELTS, TOEFL, Pearson Test of English (PTE) Academic the scores of which are needed in order to get admission into their desired university or college and also the course chosen by them.
- Sufficient finances: It is absolutely necessary for students aiming to study in Australia to show that they are financially strong. The same can be shown vide evidence of funds to cover for travel to Australia, Enough funds to cover 12 months living and course fees, Proof of meeting the annual income requirement, a letter of support from Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade or Department of Defense.
- Health requirements: It is mandatory for students aiming to study in Australia to purchase Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) which will cost an average AUS $600 approx. for a period of 12 months for a single student.
When one satisfies all of the above factors will one be able to gain admission into a university or college.
In addition to these one also needs to keep the following documents ready in order to gain an Australian student visa:
- Duly filled online student visa application form
- Copy of passport bio-data page
- Letter of offer from University/college
- Proof of sufficient funds
- Proof of health insurance cover
- English proficiency test results
- Four recent passport-sized photographs
Scholarship to study in Australia:
In addition to scholarships provided by respective universities and schools, Major scholarship programmes are also provided by Australian governments for international students as follows:
- Australia Awards: These kind of scholarships are offered by the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFAT), the Department of Education and the Australian Centre for International Agricultural Research (ACIAR) and are made available to students of selected countries like Asia-Pacific region, Africa and the Middle East for Bachelor’s, Master’s degree as well as for PhD.
- International Postgraduate Research Scholarships: This type of scholarship is available to international students of all countries except New Zealand and is available for a period of two years and is meant for research whereby both tuition fees and health cover costs for the period of Master’s degree or three years for PhD are duly covered by the Australian government.
- Australia APEC Women in Research Fellowship: This kind of scholarship is aimed at providing financial support to high-achieving female researchers from developing APEC economies whereby every year, up to 10 fellowships are awarded to facilitate a research project ranging between 1 and 4 months.
Cost of studying in Australia:
As per official government site for international students in Australia, the studying in Australia costs can be summed up as follows:
For Bachelor’s degree it is AU$ 20,000 (US$15,974) to AU$33,000 (US$25,800)
For Master’s degree it is Au$ 25,000 (US$19,968) to AU$ 37,000 (US$28,900)
For Doctoral degree it is AU$ 14,000 (US$10,950) to AU$ 37,000 (US$28,900)
In addition to these, there are also some institutions in Australia which charges students service and amenities fees.
Living Cost in Australia:
In the end comes one’s living cost. Here apart from the funds needed to be shown mandatorily in your account to be eligible to study in Australia, the HSBC has also made an estimate of AU$ 20,290 (US$16,200) per year taking into account accommodation cost, food, gas, electricity and the basic amenities, the total cost of living for a single week can be rounded off to a minimum of around AU$400 (US$319) per week.
Given all of the above information, a student becomes all set to apply for study in Australia.
Last but not the least and the next important step for a student aiming to study in Australia is achieving his student visa.
Australia Students’ visa requirements:
As per Australia’s latest simplified student visa framework (SSVF) of July 2016, all visa applications irrespective of whether it is by international students or education agents; it will be processed online by creating an ImmiAccount. Also, students will get only one visa to study in Australia which will be the Student Visa (subclass 500), irrespective of the field of study.
Future Link Consultants begin an Overseas Education Consultants Guide your in each of Australian Student Visa Processing and try to make your dream to study abroad possible.